We source both our hybrid striped bass (Morone chrysops X Morone saxatilis) from family owned and operated inland farms utilizing controlled ponds in the US.
Continual water quality monitoring maintains a healthy growing environment. The fish contain no hormones or antibiotics.
Overall, both U.S. farmed hybrid striped bass and red drum rank as a “Best Choice” according to Seafood Watch criteria.
Like most aquaculture operations, our red drum and hybrid striped bass suppliers keep their feed formulation proprietary. Fish are fed a nutritionally appropriate diet, composed of fishmeal from sustainable fisheries, soybean meal, and other plant and animal proteins. Most of the fish meal and fish oil used in their feed is sourced from the Gulf of Mexico menhaden fishery, which is a stable, well managed fishery.
According to FishSource.com, Gulf of Mexico menhaden:
- is not overfished nor is overfishing occurring
- Biomass is very high with fishing mortality very low
- Several management measures are in place to protect juveniles and spawners
- Managers have changed the fishery management plan to incorporate stakeholder input and to incorporate precautionary reference points and control rules
- Along with Atlantic menhaden, this stock is under review for MSC certification. Results are expected later in 2018
Farmed striped bass is a sustainable and convenient way to put a domesically raised fish on your menu. The fillets are easy to work with, but this fish really shines when its cooked and served whole. Keep it simple - stuff the fish with herbs and citrus and then roast - your guests will love how great fish tastes right off the bone.